Maternity 101: Tips for a Healthy Pregnancy
What an exciting time! Here are a few tips for a happy and healthy pregnancy
- ❖ Breathe, because you are about to begin an INCREDIBLE journey!
- ❖ Take prenatal vitamins daily and make sure to hydrate often. (Fresh squeezed lemon in water reduces nausea!)
- ❖ Make sure to find the right care provider that you feel most comfortable with.
- ❖ Take childbirth classes. The more you know, the better you and your baby are during birthing and beyond.
- ❖ Refrain from drinking alcohol or smoking cigarettes, as it may cause low birth weight, lower your baby’s IQ & be detrimental to its growth.
- ❖ Take more naps. Get all the sleep you can before baby arrives!
- ❖ Make a tentative birth plan and be open to changes that may happen along the way.
- ❖ Do yoga and mild exercise. Your body is undergoing some major changes and practicing breathing and movement will help during all stages of labor. Kegels DO help!
- ❖ Track weight gain and make sure to follow all scheduled doctor visits.
- ❖ Invest in comfortable shoes and maternity clothes.
- ❖ Eat folate-rich foods, and do your research on what NOT to eat!
- ❖ Wear sunscreen, as your skin is much more sensitive to sunlight, and find a chemical-free formula.
- ❖ Know when to call you doctor. Being a first-time mom can sometimes be confusing!